GiveCloud allows you to connect your DonorPerfect CRM in order to keep all your donor and financial data in one central CRM.
- GiveCloud pushes all financial transactions into DonorPerfect in realtime, the moment each financial transaction takes place (whether it's online, using a swiper, using the point of sale, recording a cash payment, etc)
- GiveCloud pushes all email registrations or account sign-ups to DonorPerfect as donors.
- GiveCloud uses intelligence to match the contact information provided by the donor to their matching DonorPerfect record (read more about this below). If no match is found, a new donor is created.
- Payments refunded in GiveCloud are pushed to DonorPerfect as adjustments in realtime.
- You can integrate on any number of User Defined Fields (UDFs) in DonorPerfect.
Before connecting your DonorPerfect account, be sure you've created a user in DonorPerfect just for GiveCloud and assign it full permissions. Once that user has been created, you will need it's username and password.
Connect Your DonorPerfect Account
- From the left menu, select Settings & Admin > Integrations > DonorPerfect.
- Enter the username and password for the DonorPerfect user you created for GiveCloud. Click 'Test Connection' to be sure the username and password are valid.
- Hit 'Save' in the top right corner.
Once you hit save, the settings screen will expand and you'll see lots of settings with on-screen help.
Here's our recommendations based on our most successful clients.
- Ensure 'Auto-Sync' is enabled for all payments and refunds. Set a reminder in your calendar to review DonorPerfect's duplication report to ensure you are keeping your DonorPerfect database clean.
- If you are using the Spouse field in DonorPerfect, ensure 'Spouse Name' is enabled for Donor Matching. This will help reduce duplicates.
- Under 'Fundraising Page Settings', ensure 'Soft Credits' are enabled. We also recommend pushing the 'Page Identifier' to the 'Solicit Code' field. This will create a solicit code for each new fundraiser and track all fundraising against the appropriate Solicit Code.
- If you plan on tracking anonymous donations, be sure to create an 'Anonymous' donor in DonorPerfect, then linking that ID with the 'Anonymous Donor' setting. This is especially important if you are using the in-person Point of Sale and swiper where you may not collect any personal information from someone buying merchandise.
- If you are charging tax and shipping, be sure to set a default GL code for both tax and shipping charges. Otherwise, they will not be coded when being pushed to DonorPerfect.
How it Works
Every payment interaction creates an Order in GiveCloud. Everytime an order is created, our robots will try to push that order into DP in realtime.
The order is pushed into DonorPerfect in two steps. First, the donor is matched or created. Second, each line-item on the order is pushed as a separate gift to DonorPerfect. Each gift is assigned to the matched or created donor.
GiveCloud does its best to match donors from GiveCloud with their appropriate record in DonorPerfect. However, due to misspellings and typos, there is an approximate 5% margin of error. In these scenarios, GiveCloud has likely created a new donor when there was actually a match.
Donors are matched based on 3 steps of intelligence.
- Is the donor logged in?
If the donor is logged in, we know who they are already.
- Does DonorPerfect have records with the exact same email address as the one being used in this payment? If we find one single record, we assume it's a match. If we find multiple records, we then start looking at the first name on all those records. If we find a matching first name, we assume it's a match.
- Does DonorPerfect have records with the same postal code and last name as the ones being used in this payment? If there is one match, we assume it's a match. If there are multiple, we then start looking at the first name on all those records. If we find a matching first name, we assume it's a match.
Note: Word matches are done using the first characters of each word. For example:
- "Josh" will match "Joshua"
- "Kim" will match "Kimberly"
- "90210" will match "90210-9232"
Nick names will not be matched.
- "Joe" will NOT match "Joseph"
- "Dick" will NOT match "Richard"
Multiple names stored in the donor's first name field will be detected and handled appropriately.
- "Josh" will match "Chelsea & Joshua"
- "Tim" will match "Tim & Emily"
- "Kimye" will NOT match "Kim & Kanye" ;)
If no match is found, a new donor will be created. We will populate the donor's:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Address Line 2 (optional)
- ZIP/Postal Code
- Home Phone
- Account Type
- Organization Name
Each line item in your GiveCloud order will generate a gift in DonorPerfect.
A basic donation could generate two gifts:
- Gift for the donation amount
- Gift for the 'cover the cost' amount (if enabled)
A more complicated online purchase could include multiple gifts:
- Gift for a shirt line item
- Gift for an event registration line item
- Gift for a general donation line item
- Gift for tax amount (if enabled)
- Gift for shipping amount (if enabled)
- Gift for admin amount (if enabled)
When setting up items for sale or fundraising in GiveCloud, there is a DonorPerfect Integration tab that allows you to specify exactly how GiveCloud should create a gift in DonorPerfect when that individual item is included in an order. These values can be different from product to product.
In the example above, you'll notice an empty Custom Integration panel. If you have custom fields in DonorPerfect, you can optionally configure GiveCloud to populate your custom fields.
When creating a gift, GiveCloud sends:
- Invoice Number (the GiveCloud order number)
- Check Reference Number (the payment confirmation number)
- Donor ID
- GL Code
- Campaign Code
- Solicitation Code
- Sub-Solicitation Code
- Gift Type
- Fair Market Value
- TY Letter Number
- NoCalc Value (global value for all gifts - set in Advanced Settings)
- + any custom fields that have been configured
Once a gift is created in DonorPerfect, you will be able to see the exact details you entered in your DonorPerfect Integratino tab reflected in DonorPerfect. As an example:
Integrating with User Defined Fields (UDF)
DonorPerfect allows you to create custom fields (User Defined Fields - UDFs) on your gift screen. This allows individual organizations to manage their own specific data points on each gift or transaction.
If you have setup Gift UDFs in DonorPerfect, GiveCloud can push data that the donor provides during their purchase/donation into those UDFs. This is done using Product Custom Fields.
Step 1: Request UDF Integration
You'll need let us know what UDF's you want your GiveCloud account to push to DonorPerfect. Just hit us up at email@example.com with the UDF Code and Label for each UDF you want to integrate with.
One that is done, you'll see your custom fields appear as options on all your DP Integration panels.
Step 2: Setup Your Product Custom Fields
Option 1: Using Donor Input to Populate Gift UDFs
- Find the product where you want collect the donor's input.
- Create a custom field on that product. When you are setting up each field, you should see a Map to Gift UDF drop down. Select the Gift UDF you want each custom field to link to.
- Click Save.
Now, each time a donor enters a value in your custom field, it will be pushed to the DonorPerfect Gift UDF you selected.
Option 2: Populating a Gift UDF with a fixed value
- Find the product where you want to send fixed UDF data to DonorPerfect
- Click the DonorPerfect Integration tab.
- Look for your UDF under the Custom Integration panel. Enter the fixed value you want pushed to DonorPerfect everytime this item is added to an order.
- Click Save.
Now, each time this item is ordered, your UDF will be populated with the fixed value you entered.
Trouble Shooting UDF Integration
- (MOST COMMON) If the UDF you setup in DonorPerfect has a fixed set of codes, the value that is sent from GiveCloud must EXACTLY match the set of fixed options in DonorPerfect (exact case and spelling).
- Are you sure the UDF Code you provided GiveCloud support staff is correct?
GiveCloud helps make your DonorPerfect integration a breeze by showing your DonorPerfect codes directly in GiveCloud. It also helps you identify when you've manually entered a code that does not exist in DonorPerfect by showing "Missing in DPO" when the code doesn't exist.
If you think GiveCloud has incorrect code data from DonorPerfect, try reloading DonorPerfect's codes. You can do this by clicking the gear icon in the top right corner of the DonorPerfect Integration tab and choose 'Refresh DonorPerfect Codes'.
Note: GiveCloud saves (or caches) your DonorPerfect codes for a period of 6hrs before it fetches fresh codes from DonorPerfect. The reload function above will force GiveCloud to re-fetch your DonorPerfect codes.
If GiveCloud still displays the message 'Missing in DPO' next to your code, it is because the code you've supplied does not exist in DonorPerfect.
In this situation, GiveCloud still pushes the code you've specified to DonorPerfect. However, DonorPerfect will incorrectly display the code in your reporting (that field will appear blank as DonorPerfect does not recognize the code). To fix this:
- Login to your DonorPerfect account and navigate to your Code Maintenance Tool (from the gear in the top right corner of your DonorPerfect account).
- Use the Show Only field to select the type of code you want to manage, then click Go.
- You should now see a full list of available codes (and this list will match what GiveCloud displays to you as well for this code type).
- Use this tool to edit or add the code you've entered into GiveCloud.
Will I need to fix all previous gifts in DonorPerfect?
No. Simply by correcting the codes in the code management tool, DonorPerfect should begin to recongize your codes from past gifts and correctly display future gifts.
Consolidated vs Individual Tax Receipting
A Consolidated receipt type will generate tax receipts in DonorPerfect with a total amount per person/per year.
Whereas an Individual receipt type will generate tax receipts for each individual transaction.
The only change that will take place in GiveCloud is that all the gifts that are generated by GiveCloud and pushed over to DP will have the updated receipt type setting. It is a global setting for all the gifts created in GiveCloud.
This is something you can manage by following these 3 easy steps:
- Click on Administration (bottom left in the menu)
- Click on DonorPerfect (first tab on left in Settings)
- Scroll down to Receipt Type (change from C to I in the drop down menu)
Don't Forget to click Save at the top right before you leave the page!
Reconciling Between GiveCloud and DonorPerfect
GiveCloud makes it easy for you to reconcile orders and donors between GiveCloud and DonorPerfect. You can do it right from within GC!
Anytime you see a Donor and Gift ID displayed in GiveCloud, you can click on that Donor or Gift and GiveCloud will look-up that Donor or Gift in DonorPerfect for you and display it to you instantly.
For example, when reviewing an order, you can see the Donor and Gift ID created as a result of the order:
Look-Up a Donor
Clicking on the Donor, GiveCloud instantly fetches that Donor for your from DonorPerfect and displays it in a dialog, along with their 20 gifts and any pledge records. This saves you from having to hop between two systems.
Look-up a Gift
Clicking on the Gift, GiveCloud also instantly fetches that Gift for you from DonorPerfect and displays it in a dialog.
How do I track a GiveCloud order from within the DonorPerfect interface?
- Log into DonorPerfect Online
- Click on the Search menu item
- Enter the donor ID number in the Last Name field
- Click the Lookup button
- The system will return the donor information
- Click on the Gifts tab
- Find the desired gift(s) by searching on the amount and/or date of the gift
- Click on the Edit button for the desired gift to see the gift details. You will see a reference to the GiveCloud order number in the Gift Memo field
It is possible to sync the tribute data with the gift created into DonorPerfect. Here's how to do it.
1. Select the corresponding DonorPerfect tribute type that you would like the tribute in GiveCloud to be mapped to (Settings & Admin > Tributes)
2. GiveCloud will automatically fill in the tribute details into the Tribute Details section on the gift screen in DonorPerfect.
3. You can optionally push details about the tribute into the Gift Narrative field in DonorPerfect (Settings & Admin > DonorPerfect)